Sunday, June 24, 2012

Future History Makers

My "real" job is being an art teacher. For the last three years I have been refining my skills to enter the world as a certified professional k-12 art teacher. Last December I obtained my goal of becoming licensed by the state of North Carolina to teach art. When the summer draws to a close, I will begin my new career in a high school a few counties over, in a community much smaller than Charlotte (thank goodness, just in time to avoid all-things-Democratic-National-Convention). In the meantime, however, I'm fortunate enough to work with a non-profit art gallery as a summer art camp instructor. These children bring me so much joy. Not a day goes by where I don't recognize their innocence and purity as they pursue their ideas on the canvas. It dawned on that I'm an "old guy" now, teaching the future history makers. In one short week the children are able to create a wonderful take-home portfolio of work. Each Friday is the "opening" show, where their friends and family come to see their work on the gallery walls. This event is wonderful experience for the students, their families, and (selfishly...) me. Combining my love of photography with my new found love of education (I say new found because I was a terrible young student) my days are full, bright, and colorful.


No comments:

Post a Comment