Thursday, May 17, 2012

Old School

Many moons ago one of my brothers presented me with a box of camera equipment that ranged from vintage to antique. All of the gear appears to be in working order, but I have yet to be certain that it exposes film properly. Enter the Kodak Brownie Flash Six-20. After doing a little research, I believe this camera was created sometime in the early-1940's. I showed up to a family gathering with this thing loaded up with a modified spool of 120 film (it 'only' accepts 620 film) and began taking pictures. My mom immediately recognized the camera and claimed it was hers when she was a little girl.



I already know that I enjoy shooting with this camera. It has all the 'classic' functions of the film cameras that people [born before 1985] would appreciate: A switch for 'close' or distant' photography, another for 'click' or 'bulb' (for low light), and the shutter button. I almost forgot to mention the film winder. It includes the threaded tripod mount, and it features a unique 'kick-stand' to properly level the lens for portrait photos. The top lacks the original leather handle,  but one of the two metal clips remains. The two little circles above the lens mounts an enormous flash (which I don't have) that looks a little bit like a Harley Davidson headlight. I prefer sunlight or studio lights over the mega-flash.

When I get the photos developed I will share them in a future posting, as well as information on the other pieces of equipment from 'the box.'

No comments:

Post a Comment